From April 07 2005 to April 30 2005
PAPERWALL: ANALYZING IMAGES
Exhibition April 7 to 30, 2005
Vernissage Friday, April 7, 5pm
Projection Friday, April 7, 7pm
Discussion Saturday, April 8, 3pm
About PAPERWALL: analYZING IMAGES:
In the past decade, a new movement of queer cultural production has solidified a space for itself in the independentart world. This movement borrows from the history of queer art, while creating its own language of imagery. Influenced by punk rock and DIY culture, the aesthetic of queer cultural producers has been decidedly political and has maintained a critical stance towards mainstream Gay and Lesbian identity.
PAPERWALL: analYZING IMAGES is a multimedia exhibition of queer art works from across North America. The show will feature the work of over 20 contemporary and emerging queer artists and activists. There will be several components to the exhibit:
- A poster art show featuring queer posters and prints
- A zine and artist book display
- A collection of queer video and film works
- WHEN QUEERS WERE QUEERS, a button and patch making station hosted by Courtney Dailey
- A special performance by Lesbians on Ecstacy
- "Tit Pin" performance by Paige Gratland
- A discussion about queer cultural production lead by Judith "Jack" Halberstam and featuring participating artists
- An Asspirate after party with dj Will Munro during Flaky Disco night with dj Why, Alex Why? and We Are Ortiz at ZOOBIZARRE 6388 St-Hubert (corner of Beaubien), Friday April 7th.
Judith Halberstam is Professor of English and Director of The Center for Feminist Research at USC. Halberstam teaches courses in queer studies, gender theory, art, literature and film. Halberstam is the author of Female Masculinity, The Drag King Book, Skin Shows: Gothic Horror and the Technology of Monsters and a new book from NYU Press titled In a Queer Time and Place: Transgender Bodies, Subcultural Lives.
Lauren Jade Martin
Lesbians On Ecstacy
Les Panthères Rose
The Third Leg
and many more!!!