From May 30 2009 to May 31 2009
35 HOUR PARTY !
Let's celebrate La Centrale's 35th anniversary...
Event May 30th to 31st, 2009
from Saturday 11am to Sunday 10pm, non-stop !
Oh yeah ! Founded in 1974, the first Canadian feminist artist-run center continues to make noise ! La Centrale Galerie Powerhouse is 35 years old and true to it's party spirit, we're celebrating for 35 hours her birthday, the weekend of May 30th and 31st !! Activities programmed by La Centrale members will take place from Saturday morning to Sunday night.
Saturday will start with a General Assembly, open to anyone interested in our centre. The meeting will be followed by an afternoon of activities, including a stop-motion workshop given by Amy Lockhart, whose exhibition Give Up the Ghost, will be on in the gallery. The evening kicks off with happy-hour from 6 to 9. There will be a game of Vingo/Bingo, performances, dj’s and refreshments in front of the gallery as part of the St-Laurent street fair. To take advantage of this setting, we will show shorts selected by the members in La Centrale’s window, starting with the premiere of Powerhouse, by Shawn Thompson. At night time, you are invited to a full-fledged pyjama party. Pillows, girl movies, popcorn and Ouiji will be part of the fun.
Sunday morning, you are invited to a video-exercise workout with Jane Fonda and Richard Simmons as your virtual trainers. In the afternoon, come visit our yard sale, where you can create or buy artefacts that have a (real or fake) link with the centre's history ($0.35 or $3.50!). At 4pm, listen as members share stories from different eras of the gallery's history. Next, La Centrale's active members will give short talks on their arts practice and cultural interests. This 35 hour marathon will finish with a pot-luck at 7pm. You are invited to bring one dish - and enjoy a feast !
This May 30th and 31st, come and celebrate 35 years of powerful, rich and diverse programming. For 35 hours, we'll be welcoming you with open arms, snacks and balloons. Our party is your party too !
Do not hesitate to contact us for any further information or to find out how you can get involved.
N.B. In case of rain, events will take place in the gallery.
Saturday, May 3011am :
- Open AGM and brunch1pm :
- stop-motion animation workshop by Amy Lockhart- artefact garage sale hosted by Émily Laliberté & Rosa Roquette
- D.I.Y. button workshop- casual tarot ($)
- "lesbian haircuts for everyone" by jj levine ($)6pm :
- Vingo/Bingo hosted by L Shea and Jenny Lee Craig- Mascot "Beaver McLeod"
- Dj Lynne T. & Dj Kandissima
- members shorts screening
with vidéos by Shawn Thompson, Karen Trask, Myriam Jacob-Allard, Amy Lockhart,
Erika Kierulf & Jacinthe Lessard, Mathilde Perrusclet, Sheena Hoszko, Rachel Germain & Michel Da Silva, and more !
- pyjama-party with girl movies, popcorn, board games, mini-spa with seaweed facial and nail polish !
* Bring your sleeping mats, sleeping bags and PJ's !
Sunday. May 31
- yoga by Natasha S. Reid
- video-exercise hosted by Donzelle's dancers
- artefact garage sale hosted by Émily Laliberté & Rosa Roquette
- casual tarot ($)
- "lesbian haircuts for everyone" by jj levine ($)
- D.I.Y. button workshop
- la centrale's history by former members
- artists talks by active members
- closing pot-luck diner
La Centrale would like to thank our artists, members, Les Brasseurs RJ and all those who have supported us in these last 35 years !!